I updated the the script I originally published for submitting files to VirusTotal and renamed it OVScan (Online Virus Scan). What has changed:
- Added support for multiple sites
- Added support for submitting via SSL (if the site supports it)
- Added support for a per-file timeout
- Not all sites support all the features. SSL is supported only by VirusTotal at the moment for example.
- Different sites have different engines, different signature versions and so on.
- Different sites have different usage policies. Make sure to check out the policy for the given site before submitting to it. In general assume that the site can do whatever it wants with the submitted file
- Support for scanner.virus.org is broken at the moment because every scan seems to stall at 80% (at Norman), so I couldn’t get a sample of what the results look like
- Support for virscan.org is rather rudimentary because of their more complex call scheme which is needed
- To use SSL, you need to have Crypt::SSLeay installed, which under Windows means using alternative package sources.
Hope you find it useful.
Update: for those of you who prefer more asynchronous processing, there is the vtsubmit.py python script which uses the e-mail interface for VirusTotal.
Update: I did some updates to the script. Please download the new version (because the old version doesn’t really work with the changes the sites did to their architecture :-)).
Image taken from 37Hz’s photostream with permission.