I’ve re-arranged my blog a little for it to be more usable (for both of my regular readers :-)). Here are some things I’ve done:
- Added my logo in the header
- Redirected the autodiscovery feeds through Feedburner. This should give a more accurate readership number (fortunately users don’t have to do anything for this to work).
- I’ve moved my sidebar over to the right. As most people start reading on the left side of the page, it is more logical to have the content there, rather than navigation / subscription / etc (although this may depend on the goals you try to achieve).
- I’ve reduced the number of text fields. To do this I’ve hidden the blogger navbar (it doesn’t seem to violate the TOS) – my biggest problem with it was that the search box was on the left side, while I would have preferred to be on the right side. To compensate for it, I’ve added a search box on the right side (where it belong IMHO). I played around with Google Custom Search for a while, but there was a delay between me posting and Google indexing, and also it didn’t blend it nicely with the template.
- Also, I’ve hidden by default the e-mail subscription box. It was distracting attention, and probably most people will use feeds anyway. You can still get to it by clicking on the “Subscribe via e-mail” link. The image used for it was taken from Wikimedia Commons.