I’ve been experimenting with different collaboration solutions, and I think I may just have found the one: Socialtext. What I really like:
- It is open source (just click the for developers link)
- It is free (if you don’t want the support)
- It is written in Perl
- It has an API for manipulating the pages (I don’t know yet how powerful it is)
- It has a WYSIWYG editor
- Commets can be attached to every page
- It integrates with Active Directory
What I don’t like (these are my first perceptions while browsing around the site, I didn’t have time yet to install it and do an extensive testing):
- The access control seems to be a little limited (like admin / non-admin), I would have preferred something more along the lines of Active Directory or at least the Unix model with groups and group members
- It doesn’t seem to support code blocks. I thing one of the major features of DokuWiki is the integration with GeSHi for syntax highlighting of source code.
I’ve heard about it over at Perlcast
One response to “The perfect solution?”
Socialtext looks good. Wish they used Catalyst, as MojoMojo does.